Robotics & STEM Activities
Humans will have the opportunity to play with robots brought to you by Exploring Families. This free event will entice kids and adults of all ages to engage in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) and robotic activities. Below are highlights of some of the various activities:
• If your whole family loves an abundance of hands-on activities, have we got the fun for you! In all of the excitement, kids won’t even realize they are learning about the amazing world of engineering! Robotics students will showcase robots they have designed to play – come experience for yourself and interact with robots!
• Observe several types, sizes, and shapes of robots in action from local high school students from Central Valley, Lewis & Clark, Spokane Valley Tech, West Valley, and more. Some of their robots are as big as refrigerators!
• St. George’s School students will show off their VANSEQ Project (Vertical Ascent Near Space Exploration Quest). This near space weather balloon was built and launched in only a few weeks. Also you get to see an electric battery-powered motorcycle that they designed and built. Discover the results of their research, design, prototyping, and driving of an eco-friendly mode of transportation.
• Eastern Washington University students from the Rocketry Club and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Club will be on hand to show their projects and demonstrate their engineering talents. Come ask tough questions of the best and brightest minds in our area!
• With the assistance of Spokane County 4-H, learn about Lego WeDo robots – which are challenging yet simple to build and operate.
• Remember your grandmother’s old sewing machine? Discover the high tech world of sewing today that combines your imagination and computers inside computerized sewing machines.
• The Director of PartnersForScience.com will make all kinds of science fun and fascinating at Valleyfest! They are dedicated to providing hands-on, inquiry-based science experiences for students in grades K-8. Come pet Mr. Stahl’s cute Madagascar hissing cockroaches!
• The Spokane County Library District brings you Snap Circuits—fun for all ages! You can engineer a creation that spins, lights up, or chimes. Come explore our local libraries, where you’ll find valuable resources for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, including books, STEM kits, our full digital resource library, and more.
• STEM activities, presented by Girl Scouts of Eastern Washington and North Idaho, are fun and fascinating for all ages! Our local troops have valuable resources and activities to explore Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.
• Watch 3D Printers in action! RoboSprout is devoted to opensource/openhardware. Their focus is on 3d printers, rapid prototyping and small batch contract manufacturing. You won’t believe what they can print!