Swinging in the Valley Dance Competition
Saturday, September 24, 2022
5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Parent Child Dance
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Dance Competition
9:00 p.. Awards
Open dance social till 10:00 p.m.
CenterPlace Regional Event Center
Swing by and check it out!
The Swingin’ in the Valley Dance Competition is Saturday, September 24, 2022 at CenterPlace Regional Event Center.
If you love to dance or want to learn, come to swinging in the Valley! The event begins at 5 p.m. with a chance to learn dance moves, followed by a competition at 7:00 p.m. for individual line dancing and couples or teams swing, and end with a free dance time.
There will be demonstrative dancing by advanced dancers, featuring all sorts of fun moves and aerial theatrics. This event is open to all levels of skill, so swing by and check it out!
Categories include line, team line, country and open swing. Novice and intermediate!
$15 entry fee for each individual for line.
$30 entry fee per couple in swing.
$60 entry fee for team (total). Minimum 3 people per team.
Spectators are free entry but can cast their votes and pay $1 per vote for their favorite dancer, couple, or team! 100% of these proceeds will fund and support the local Greater Spokane Valley Rotary Club in supplying books for kids.
All participants must also sign liability waiver prior to competition. Will be emailed to participants prior to competition.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
for the Swinging in the Valley Competition
Rules and Descriptions:
1. Individual line novice (beginner): choreography to be danced “vanilla”. no variations of choreography. Example: if add full spin where choreography calls for quarter turn you will be disqualified. Total of 4 routines. Routines are 32 counts and will be posted prior to competition with instructions and demo. 4th routine will be used in case of tie breaker. 3 initial routines will be drawn day of competition! Have all 4 prepared.
2. Intermediate/advanced: choreography may be varied after 1st completed wall is danced “vanilla”. Ex: may add more spins, flare, etc to the music and while keeping rhythm. Four routines will be a minimum of 32 counts and may include tags and restarts. Choreography will include beyond basic footwork. Routines will be posted prior to competition with instructions and demos. 4th routine will be used in case of tie breaker.3 initial routines will be drawn day of competition. Have all 4 prepared!
3. Country swing novice (beginner): this is a NO COUNT partnered dance. No Jack ‘n Jill this year. You must have a partner for the competition. Novice category includes no lifts of any kind. Feet must not leave ground. Songs will be released prior to competition for you to practice ahead of time.
4. Country swing intermediate/advanced: this is a NO COUNT partnered dance. No Jack ‘n Jill this year. You must have a partner for the competition. This category allows for safely performed lifts and non beginner dancers. Songs will be released ahead of time for you and your partner for practice.
5. Open swing: includes but not limited to west coast swing and east coast swing. Songs will be released prior to the competition.
1. Musicality and Rhythm: how well are you moving to the music and beat. Do your movements go with rhythm changes and how well do you move with the choreography
2. Partnership (swing): how well do the dancers perform together in unity and in sync?
3. Accuracy/footwork: judges will look for errors, correct footwork and placement, bodily control.
4. Enthusiasm: have fun and smile!!!!
5. Costume: does your costume of choice fit to the song and dance? Is it appropriate for the style and audience? Keep things PG. NO EARRINGS OR LOOSE JEWELRY. Sequence ok. Boots required for country songs and dances.
6. Team line: team preparedness, costume choice, uniqueness and creativity, choreography, timing of movements in unity. 1 song must be country. Others may be non country. Please submit music of choice to host 48hrs prior to competition. If unable to, please message us.